5. Earthquakes. I am used to it by now, but dang, I don’t like them. I mean, being waken up by them, jostled out of that chill mode, or gasp in the restroom. And you know you’ve ridden too many when you have developed the preference of the rolling type over the jolting type. And while it’s happening you think, oh yeah I don’t have to go take cover it’s just one of those rolly ones. Ain’t right at all.
4. No seasons, while it gets a bit chilly in the Fall and Winter months, we’re talking about 50, and it gets super hot in the summer, sometimes 100. Really it’s usually about 65 to 70 degrees sunny with morning fog. I am not kidding you. Sometimes it’s cool, but sometimes it feels like the years are blending together.
3. Plastic people, OMG you can’t walk down the street without fearing that one of those plastic (surgery) folk is going to start melting. I mean in the summer they get this sort of shellacked look and I am never quite certain that it won’t happen.
2. In line with the plastic people are the superficial people. Now I like nice stuff as much as the next person, but it’s not my life’s priority. This is I think we’ve passed the disease on to everyone else. But in LA, it’s not about what you have to say as much as it is the car you drive, the purse you carry, and the label you wear. Some minimum wage cell phone kiosk dude will mock you if you don’t have the latest phone. With the recession it’s been dialed back, but you know we still have phone riding buses and catching calls on their cells (they may be jacked phones, but still, weird).
1. Drunken Cops, apparently that’s a new thing. Although it doesn’t seem that surprising, but can’t they wait till their off duty and then can’t they hold their liquor. It’s embarrassing.